So you’ve just had your wedding, and now you’re thinking about going on a honeymoon — your first trip away as a newly married couple. This is definitely a special time and it’s often the most romantic trip that couples have.
You’ll find that many couples stress about their honeymoon destination, but there isn’t really much to be stressed about. It can be overwhelming having so many options to choose from, but we’ll give you some advice and guidance on how you can narrow down your options and choose the perfect destination.
Think about the Kind of Trip You Want
First and foremost, think about the kind of trip that you want to go on. Honeymoons don’t always have to be romantic. If you’re not a romantic couple then simply go on an activity trip that you’ll both enjoy: go skiing in the French Alps, relax on the beach in Bora Bora, go sightseeing in New York City or London.
Deciding on what kind of trip you want will help you narrow down your options massively. Here is a list to help you decide:
- Romantic getaway – Paris, Valencia, St. Lucia, Seychelles.
- City breaks – New York City, London, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Tokyo.
- Beach holiday – Bora Bora, Sharm El Sheikh, Playa del Carmen, Barbados, Maldives.
- Skiing trips – Austrian Alps, French Alps, Lapland, Wanaka, Banff.
Adjust for Your Budget and Trip Length
Now that you have decided what kind of trip you’re looking for, the next step is to narrow your options down further and account for your budget and the length of your trip. If you want to go halfway across the world, it probably won’t be a viable option if you have a small budget and only intend to go on a one-week trip.
As your budget and date flexibility open up, so do your options. Your budget and trip length are factors that you’ll want to take into serious consideration.
In the above sections we’ve talked about narrowing your options down by thinking about what kind of trip you want, and adjusting for your budget and trip length. Here are some additional tips that won’t necessarily help you choose the perfect destination, but will help your trip go as smoothly as possible:
- Let people know it’s your honeymoon – when you encounter people on your trip, let them know it’s your honeymoon. The airline might bump you up to first class, the hotel might put you in a special honeymoon suite, the bartender might give you a drink “on the house”.
- Use a reputable provider – if you decide to go with a package provider, make sure that they’re reputable. It would be a good idea to get recommendations from friends and family.
- Get a good insurance policy – make sure that you’re properly insured for your trip, this could mean getting missed flight insurance, medical travel insurance, and more.
- Plan your trip properly – if you’re going to a destination that’s on your bucket list, think about the places that you want to go to. Plan your trip in advance so that you can make the most of your trip.
Hopefully you now have a much better idea as to how you can choose the perfect honeymoon destination — you probably already have some ideas in your head about where you want to go! However, it’s important not to get carried away; going away on your first trip as a couple can be exciting, but don’t forget the legalities.
If you’re going to somewhere exotic or far away, chances are that you’ll need visas, vaccinations, and paperwork. After you have decided on your destination, make sure to research this and leave a good amount of time to get everything sorted.